GIVE ME A BRAKE

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAGetting this thing back on the road has been a little more challenging than I expected. After all, I drove it home 60 miles when I purchased it. Now I can’t get it out of the driveway and into the street.

When I last posted the car needed a water pump and I thought it might have a blown head gasket. I put a new water pump on and the overheating seems to be under control although I still want to put an electric fan in front of the radiator to help at idle. I’m also happy to report there is no blown head gasket. After a bit of tinkering I was able to diagnose the engine problem as a faulty carb.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOnce I made the diagnosis I decided to take it off and dissect it. As you can see it had a bad case of the cruds. Rather that spend more time and money on this old carb I decided to get a new one. I got the Holley 650 with electric choke. I hope it’ll get a little better gas mileage than the old one. (I wasn’t even sure what size the old one was)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASince the carb was off I thought it would be a good time to clean up the old intake. After a little cleaning and some paint it looks like new.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the new Holley 650 installed. Putting on a new carb solved the horrible running condition but there was still a problem with the vacuum advance. I checked the timing and wanted to adjust it but wouldn’t you know, the distributor was all frozen up in the block. It took a week of soaking in PB Blaster to get it loose. I was able to get the timing adjusted right but the vacuum advance is still causing a problem. As soon as the timing starts advancing with the vacuum advance it looses power and dies. I put the timing light on it to watch as the timing changed and at a certain point the power cuts off and the timing light goes dead and the engine dies until the advance decreases. Weird huh? I checked the plate in the distributor and all the point wires and everything looks normal. I disconnected the vacuum advance and it runs fine. I’ll just run it without vacuum advance until I can get it figured out.

Since the engine was running fairly decent again I thought we were ready for a little cruise. Caroline and I jumped in the car but we didn’t get far. We didn’t even make it out of the driveway. The brake pedal got mushy and I could barely stop the car at an idle. So back in the garage it went.

It had the old single bowl master cylinder which was so rusty I couldn’t even get the lid off to check the fluid level. I decided to order a new dual bowl master cylinder. Those things aren’t cheap anymore like they used to be. Anyway, it came in and I put it on and guess what? Still no brakes. So I pulled off the front drums to check the wheel cylinders.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAbove is the culprit. I pulled the rubber boot and rusty brake fluid poured out. So I have some wheel cylinders on order. Since this is going to be another whole project I thought I might as well restore everything.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThese old parts cleaned up OK. No need to buy a new hardware kit.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThese cleaned up good too. The brake shoes look almost new.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThese are in progress.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this still needs to be cleaned and painted. Maybe it will make it out of the driveway by Christmas.

Advertisements

One thought on “GIVE ME A BRAKE

  1. Scott says:

    I don’t mean to add to your long list of parts, but I’d seriously consider replacing the rubber hose sections of the brake lines at this time as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: