Some folks might think I’ve been goofing off because it’s been a few weeks since my last post. Actually I’ve been working so hard I haven’t had time to take pictures and post them. Much has been accomplished and the following pictures don’t truly portray the amount of work that has gone into the car.

After finishing the headliner I decided to put the new windshield in. It’s a gasket windshield which means you put on a big rubber gasket first and then, using 12 gauge wire, pull the windshield into the frame. Of course you have to use sealers and such but it’s actually a simple process.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAbove you can see the windshield right after installation. This was one of the easier projects on the car. The trim was actually more difficult to install than the window.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOne very important step when installing the trim is to mark the trim clip locations with tape. That way you know right where to push to clip it in.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe photo above shows the completed windshield and trim installation. And that’s all there is to that project. The whole thing was only about 3 hours I think.

The next project on the list was the new heater core. Earlier I had restored the heater box so now I had to take it apart again to put in a new heater core and add the new defrost plenum and ducts.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAbove you can see the old heater box and the new core.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI bought new rubber end seals which had to be modified to fit. With some patient trimming I was able to get a real nice fit.


And here we have the core as it fits in the box.


After some careful assembly I dragged out the heater controls and got some new heater hose and got the whole system mounted up under the dash.

Next project – Radio, speakers, and dash pad.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERARemember these? It’s an old Pioneer Super Tuner. I think it’s from the eighties but it still works great. I put the old dry rotted pioneer 3″ speakers back in the dash where they came from. I was going to toss them but when I used them to test the radio I found they still sounded pretty good.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI got some Sony 6 x 9s (from Walmart) for the back. I still have to make a new panel but I have to get the rear window installed first. So that takes care of the sound system. If nothing else works on the car at least I can sit in it and listen to the radio.


After the heater and radio were done I was able to get the dash pad fully installed with all the stainless trim. I just love the design detail in the 65 dash.


Oh yeah, I put in a new glove box and put the glove box door on too. I even got the little glove box light working. So right now the only thing on the dash that’s not hooked up yet is the cigaret lighter.

Next up – Window tint.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI was going to take all the windows someplace and have them tinted but the shop I went to didn’t want to touch it. They said it was too much of a pain to do these old windows with the trim around them. So I had to do it myself. Window tinting is easy if you can keep everything clean. Unfortunately that’s impossible with these old windows with deteriorating gaskets. No matter how many times you clean them little particles still come out as soon as you spray the window and put the film on. So it’s virtually impossible to get a perfect tint with my old windows.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERABut from a few feet away it looks very nice. Another key thing when tinting is to get the tint cut exactly right with a tiny bit of space around the edge. By the time I did the last window I had it all figured out.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI used a 30% tint which is not real dark. I’m getting a little old and I want to be able to see out the windows at night. When I was young I would have used about a 10%.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe trickiest window was the back one. I had to heat shrink the film to get it to fit the contour. I had never done it before but I watched a few Youtube videos and was able to get it done on the first try.


Above is the quarter window installed. I also installed all the weather stripping and trim. Getting the window put back together took a little time and several tries since I had forgotten how it went back together. But once i got it figured out it went in pretty good and it rolls up and down like new. I did the same on the other side too. Getting the two windows and trim installed took half a day.

Lastly – the rear tail light panel stuff.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe tail light buckets turned out to be a real pain. I had to make some adjustments (re; bending metal) to get them to fit. Then I had to replace some of the bolts that had rusted off. I keep having to go to the hardware store to get stainless steel nuts, bolts, and screws to replace the rusted ones.

Once I got the buckets in I put the bulbs in and the new gaskets, old lenses, and new bezels. I had to grind down the heads of the screws so they would fit down in the bezel like the factory ones. After that was finished I wired everything up. Then I put the Gas filler neck on and mounted the gas cap. After that I spent some time modifying the new bumper mounts so they would fit correctly onto the bumper. Then I mounted the bumper. Oh yes, I almost forgot. At some point I also mounted the rear valence. Anyway, that’s all for now. Enjoy the pictures.




Tagged , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: