The first project was to get the hood and trunk prepped and painted. This was the fun part since it involved stripes.
The next step (which I forgot to photograph in all the excitement) was to layout and mask off the stripes. It was super simple. I just made my measurements and layed it out with 1/4″ striping tape and masked off the center section with plastic.
Once it was all masked off I shot it with the pepper grey metallic base coat.
And here they are with the masking removed to reveal the stripes. One thing to understand here is that the lighting in the garage is making the body color look very green. The actual color is more like the photos taken in natural light where it doesn’t look so green.
After the base coat dried I shot the clear. I’m starting to get a glimpse of what this thing is going to look like when finished and I think I like it, but there’s still plenty more to do – like paint the doors and fenders.
The hood and trunk lid were finished on Monday and I spent some time during the week prepping the doors and fenders.
After the first coat of clear I was a bit worried since it had more orange peel than I prefer. The clear is kind of hard to spray sometimes. Since it’s clear you can’t always see it very well as it’s going on.
But all’s well that ends well and the second coat went on better. It may have slightly more orange peel than factory in some areas but over all it looks nice. I’ll have to go in and sand and polish it some anyway to knock down the dust so it should look fine.
Maybe in the next two weeks I can get the body painted and finally start putting this thing back together.