Things are starting to come together now and I think I see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Lately I’ve been spending my time in the garage working hard and fast. There are so many parts that need restoring so I’ve been trying to get some of those knocked out as well as the sheet metal body repair. The freakishly cold temperatures down here have slowed me down some but the work still continues.
A while back I took the mud flaps off from under the left fender and they were nasty and rusty of course. I tossed them in the Apple Cider Vinegar tub and let them soak for a week.
Above is the photo taken after I cleaned them up. They cleaned up great but what I need is the rubber extensions. The old ones were dry rotted so I need to figure out how to make some new ones. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I need a durable, flexible material that I can cut and rivet to the metal flaps.
The flaps look real nice after the primer and paint.
The next little project was the heater box. It’s so old and warped and rusted I had my doubts about it being savable, but on my limited budget I needed to try.
The front side of the heater box wasn’t much better than the back. It was somewhat warped and the opening for the little door vent had a piece knocked out of it. In the photo above you can see where I have placed tape on the backside to get it ready for repair.
And here it is with the first application of filler. I like to use Duraglass for areas that need a lot of strength. This stuff is really tough. You have to sculpt it quickly while it’s soft, otherwise you’ll be tempted to use profanities and throw tools around the garage in your futile attempt to shape it.
After a couple additional coats and some sculpting and sanding it’s ready for primer and paint. (My brother made that little knife in the background and I’ve been using it to sculpt body filler for the past 25 years or so. Thanks Bill.)
I also restored a couple of other odds and ends.
The other ongoing project was the fender.
Above are the pictures of the fender stripped and sand blasted and cut for patches.
The next step was just to get everything sanded and ready for epoxy primer and with my new DA sander it was a breeze.
Surprise! I did the front valance too. I told you I was working hard and fast. I’m sure I did some other things too that I didn’t have time to document but that’s OK. This is enough for one post. Besides, I’m tired and I need a little break now.