This project has become a seemingly endless process of cutting, shaping, and welding together oddly shaped abstract pieces of metal to form a larger work of art – a 65 mustang. Right now however it still resembles a bunch of oddly shaped pieces of metal. Hopefully six months from now it will look more like a mustang.
This has been a busy week with much multi-tasking, so let’s get to it.
The major project for the week was to repair the fresh air vent under the cowl. It was very similar to the same repair on the other side only less horrible by mere degrees.
Of course the first steps were cutting away the side to gain entry to the rusted out areas and then to dispose of said rusted areas. In the photo above the rusty stuff has already been removed and a couple of interior patches have been applied. This little project required plenty of pattern making and metal cutting and so forth.
Above you can see the base sheet metal that I cut for the fresh air intake. Kind of looks like a Picasso hobby horse doesn’t it? Later I added a circular collar (which prevents water from flowing into the floor on rainy days) and I welded in three studs for the mounting of the vent tube. It only took about a hundred test fits and adjustments to get it to fit properly. Then it was bonded and welded into place, sealed and painted and sealed again with truck bed coating.
This is the final repair after paint. I did a little clean up in the wheel well area and on the suspension and painted that too. The frame will get cleaned up and painted later and hopefully sometime in the not too distant future I will be able to replace all the suspension components with cool new go-fast parts. But for now this area is finished.
Another little side project was to repair the fresh air intake vent.
The remaining project was to get the right fender painted on the underside and the brace welded back into place.
The inside of the fender is no pretty sight. It has patches and areas with the original undercoating (which I couldn’t get off so it stayed) and a tiny bit of sand from the sandblasting which conveniently blew off the saw horse and onto the wet paint. (That’s why I don’t like sand blasting. It always comes back to haunt me.) But again, not too many folks are going to be crawling around under the fender, although there’s always the odd one at the car shows.
So that’s about it for this weekend. Unfortunately it was mostly ugly work and run-on sentences this week. Maybe next week I can do something nice like the outside of the left fender and perhaps refine my writing skills a bit. Until then just enjoy the pretty abstract paintings and ignore the bad grammar.