After finishing up the right Cowl repairs I was going to get busy and knock out the fender in one day. But then I got bugged about all the nastiness around me and started cleaning up the area under the fender. I started by removing the rusty bumper supports. I was really getting tired of banging my shin on them every time I walked around the front of the car.
I got busy with some other stuff and forgot about the supports so they actually soaked for a week. They came out looking pretty good. The photo above shows what they looked like after I washed them off real good.
The other area of nastiness that was really bugging me was that whole area under the fender.
As you can see it was pretty ugly. I had pressure washed it earlier with a cheap pressure washer (hence all the squiggly lines in the undercoating from the cheap nozzle). I spent an afternoon cleaning everything with a wire wheel and then used seam sealer to seal all the seams where the old stuff had fallen out.
After some new undercoating and a couple of paint coats it looks a little better. I didn’t do the sub frame yet as I’m still deciding on what color I want to paint the underside of the car. I’m thinking a nice metalic charcoal. The suspension looks better than it did but hopefully it will all be replaced with new components in the next year or two.
Maybe next week I’ll tackle that fender.