OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this? Guess what? They don’t look like that anymore. Want to know why? Of course you do. Those areas don’t look like that anymore because some poor fool spent a lot of time watching football and fabricating parts and welding them together. (What can I say? The playoffs came on when I was in the middle of it so I moved the fabrication operation into the family room and cut metal while I watched football. And what could possibly be more manly that that? Except maybe giving a wild baboon a beat-down with a pipe wrench during the commercials.)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere was a lot to do so I started with a couple of simple patch panels in the walls. That took care of the kid stuff.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANext I spent a lot of time making cardboard templates and fabricating this little piece (as the Denver defense gave the game away). It allows air from the cowl into the vent and keeps the water out of the vent. It was somewhat challenging and kind of fun on some sort of level.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere is another view of it clamped into place. I used 3M panel bond on the inside far edge and welded it on the outside edges. (No, it is not duct taped in place. The tape was to prevent the cutting of flesh each time I had to reach my arm up in there. But yes, I put it on there after some cutting of the flesh.)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThen I had to make a couple of pieces to fill in the huge hole on the back side. Lots of fun trying to weld up in there for sure. I only caught the car on fire once.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAfter all the pieces were welded into place I had to seal all the seams and prime it. We don’t want any water leaking onto the new floors now do we?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAfter that I gave it a good dose of truck bed coating. I hope it sticks to the metal as good as it does to my hands.

Then it was time to weld up the outer pieces but before we get into that I forgot to show you the window frame repair (it was actually done first.)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere were a couple of pieces that had to be welded around the bottom of the window frame. Yes, I know it’s ugly. It was a pain as they were odd shapes and difficult to fabricate with my crude tools. I suppose it’s a good thing they wont be visible again until the next poor fool takes it all apart to restore it thirty years from now. Anyway, let’s get back to the rest of it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI was able to take the top piece (which I had carefully cut off) and weld it back in place. This was the easiest part of the whole project.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThen I made a piece for the side and welded it in place. Of coarse there were a few other little pieces that had to be welded here and there but I’ll spare you the details. After everything was welded up it was just a matter of sealing all the seams with panel bond and doing a little filler work on the window frame.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere’s another view of it all welded back together. Kind of Frankensteinish huh?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd finally with some primer it looks like a real repair.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe window frame turned out pretty decent.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd one last glamour shot of the Frankenstein repair, but don’t worry, there’s more football and fabrication yet to come.



  1. Scott says:

    A true work of art!

  2. ranchwagon says:

    Wow! It looks good. That cowl rust is a real pain. No more wet floors for that mustang!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: