A lot has been accomplished since the last post. After finishing up with the primer I did some body work on the quarter panels where they meet the roof. Still a lot more to do though. I put the trunk lid back on (Mostly just to get it out of the way). Then I single handedly installed the doors. I had read that installing the doors and getting them aligned properly is a real difficult task. I thought it went very smoothly and it really isn’t difficult at all to make the alignment adjustments. I was able to get everything lined up very nicely although I will have to go back and make some alterations to the bottom of the passenger door where I welded on the new bottom door skin.
At that point I decided to change the engine oil and start it up so I could move it out of the garage and turn it around. The engine started right up and sounded great so I stuck the steering wheel on, sat on the floor and backed it out of the garage. Tyler guided me as I turned it around and backed it into the garage.
After the fender was removed I drove it out of the garage and used the pressure washer to clean up some of the nastiness. There is going to be a ton of work to do to get the front end sparkling again.
I took out the grinder and cut away some bad metal. As you can see there is plenty of fabrication work ahead. That area under the cowl is just a huge mess. It’s going to be a real challenge to get that rebuilt and water proofed. I think there may be an easier solution than the factory design on this one. The main thing is that there has to be a round opening for the heater and vent and it has to be protected from water coming in through the cowl.
Here are a few of the parts I cut off that will need to be fabricated and reinstalled. I’m going to think on this a little while. It’s not going to be a concours restoration here. I’m thinking about how to keep it as simple and effective as possible.