TWO DAY VALENCE

After putting it off for weeks I finally decided to tackle the rear valence. Every old mustang has bent, twisted, dented up valences and this one is no exception. Rather than shell out the bucks for a new one that probably wouldn’t fit anyway I thought I’d spend an inordinate amount of time trying to repair this one.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As you can see this one is not in great shape. The first step was to grind out all the bondo and then use a hammer and dolly to straighten out the dents as best as possible.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The valence also has to be modified. After I figure out what exhaust tips I’ll be using I’ll cut out a section on each side. Until then I’ll just get the valence straightened and fitted.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is one of many test fits. I think I had this thing on and off a hundred times in the last two days. There was a significant fitment problem that I had to remedy. It seems that after having rebuilt the entire back end of the car the lower right quarter panel is about 1/4″ too wide. This left a huge gap. Not a good thing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

So I had to cut the valence and add a piece to lengthen it. That was actually about the easiest part of the whole process.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The next step after getting the valence to mount reasonably well was to apply body filler and try to get it straight. Then I had to work on the fit and try to get the gaps close where it meets the quarter panel.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After too many test fits and tweeks to count I finally got the gaps close. I’ll still have to do a little work with the body filler to get it perfect.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The old mounting tabs on the back were rusted out and I didn’t like them anyway so I cut them off and fabricated a different kind. The new tab is simple and fits up real nice.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After getting the valence fitted nicely it was on to primer. This is the valence and the inside windshield trim ready to be primed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And PRESTO! It’s primed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here’s a complete view of the valence in primer. Unfortunately it still needs more bodywork. But that will be done after I make the exhaust cut-outs. While I had the primer mixed up I shot a couple of other areas.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

One interesting thing about the car, maybe the only interesting thing, is that it used to have a spotlight attached to the A-post. I was wondering why there was a hole on the inside of the post and when I sanded down the outside I figured it out. Since I don’t plan on installing a spotlight I had to cut metal and weld it up. By the way, the hole on the outside was filled with bondo so it wasn’t so obvious as the photo.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It’s looking much better now.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I also fixed up the left door jamb and got it primed. Then another tiny hole showed up so I get to do more work on it. And there you have it. A few photos and two long days of work.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: